[tz] defensive value for define on Solaris causes load of timerule to fail

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Mon Jun 12 13:20:50 UTC 2017

On 12/06/17 12:22, Kees Dekker wrote:
>> The FILENAME_MAX macro, as used in the local_storage union in
>> localtime.c, has on Solaris the very low/defensive value of 14
>> (from stdio.h).
>>
>> Please consider using PATH_MAX, from limits.h instead, as that
>> value is (usually) 250 or beyond. Or anything else, that can hold
>> reasonable lengths of file names.

>> usedmacro.
>
> Addition:
>
> The PATH_MAX macro does not exist on Windows, MAX_PATH does (but
> requires to include several Windows header files) and FILENAME_MAX
> is suitable.
>
> So, FILENAME_MAX is probably the better choice, but may be, a
>
> #if FILENAME_MAX < 260
> #undef FILENAME_MAX
> #define FILENAME_MAX 260
> #endif
>
> code part is needed? Then FILENAME_MAX is at a defined minimum value
> (of course, the limit of 260 is also quite an arbitrary choice).

I don't like the idea of redefining `FILENAME_MAX`.  Just use some
reasonably large value of our choosing for the length of `fullname`.
Even with a modern GNU/Linux `FILENAME_MAX` value of 4096 (on my system
at least), the `fullname` member of `union local_storage` is smaller
than the `u` member.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk> )=-
-=(                          Web: http://www.mev.co.uk/  )=-