[tz] State of Texas – A plan to end daylight saving time

Steve Jones stevejones at ontimezone.com
Mon Mar 13 15:27:32 UTC 2017

Folks:

I've closely followed a few specific legislative topics in North America
for many years, adding time zone to the list a few years ago.

It seems to me that the body of legislation proposed to impact time zone or
DST follows the general tendency to have no chance of ever coming to a
vote, much less passing.

In the US Congress only about one out of 20 bills is passed. I can't cite a
similar statistic for state legislatures, but believe the phenomena is even
more pronounced at the state level.  The vast majority of bills are trial
balloons, vanity projects, Quixotic, shots across some bow or another, or
just plain crazy.

So for no reason other than statistics I doubt this bill will go anywhere,
though it is hard to know when we are hearing about a rare bill with "legs"
— unless someone with specific inside knowledge shares it with the list.

The only legislation I can imagine could ever achieve broad public support
would be to abolish DST altogether at the national level, and even that is
a long shot.

Regards,

Steve Jones