[tz] input needed on creation of a new sub-package for raw zone data

Patsy Franklin pfrankli at redhat.com
Mon May 22 13:03:40 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'd appreciate community input on this plan.  Ideally if others decide to
also ship a similar subpackage we can  use a common naming convention and
install directory.

We are planning to ship a new subpackage for users who want to have access
to the raw zone data files e.g. leapseconds, and in a pre-determined
install location e.g. /usr/share/zoneinfo/zonedata/.

The raw zone data is useful for users designing their own interfaces on top
of this data. The broadest flexibility is offered by the raw zone data, and
while the compiled binary data is versioned and more stable, some users
have expressed a request for the raw zone data. The understanding is that
the raw zone data format may change.

In summary:
Our current plan is to use -zonedata in naming the subpackage, For example,
tzdata-zonedata-2017b-1.el7.

We plan to install the files in this subpackage under
/usr/share/zoneinfo/zonedata/.

Just as an example we would ship the following files:
LICENSE
version
africa
antarctica