[tz] input needed on creation of a new sub-package for raw zone data

Barry Allard barry.allard at gmail.com
Tue May 23 06:23:14 UTC 2017

Yes.

Packagers: Please keep it compatible with what iana tarball updaters (such
as tzupdater, various language packages) expect but as a directory: minimal
changes maximize portable reusability and minimize support/maintenance for
everyone. And please don't collide file hierarchy by breaking existing
conventions but make it sensible like:

/usr/share/iana-tzinfo-src/latest
--symlink->
/usr/share/iana-tzinfo-src/20NNz

This makes it unambiguous about what it is what and allows for
rolling-release upgrades without breaking production processes that cannot
survive system "static" shared data files randomly disappearing beneath
them.

Barry Allard