[tz] input needed on creation of a new sub-package for raw zone data

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed May 24 14:53:14 UTC 2017

On 05/22/2017 06:03 AM, Patsy Franklin wrote:
> africa
> antarctica
> asia
> australasia
> europe
> northamerica
> southamerica
> pacificnew
> etcetera
> backward
> systemv
> factory
> backzone

To help simplify the construction of source packages like this, I've
written a proposed patch, archived here:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2017-May/025079.html

This patch will let the package contain just one text file, 'tzdata.zi',
instead of the above thirteen text files. The single file consumes only
124 KiB of storage instead of 708 KiB (on my machine, at least). The
storage savings comes partly from omitting comments and white space,
partly from abbreviations, and partly from avoiding fragmentation.