[tz] broken compression in archive

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 1 05:56:02 UTC 2017

    Date:        Wed, 1 Nov 2017 03:11:07 +0000
    From:        Zefram <zefram at fysh.org>

  | I'm doing some work on how to access historical tzdb versions, and I
  | noticed that tz{code,data}94d.tar.Z are, despite their names, uncompressed
  | tar files.

That is probably my doing - I maintain the ~ftp/pub/oldtz archive on
munnari.oz.au and for most of its life. manually.   It was, once, the
only available set of old data files (aside from what was in ado's
sccs files.)

I will compress those 2 files there so the names match reality (and all the
other files of the same era.)

The change from gzip to compress format was probably (I don't really remember
why, or what) that I did not trust that new fangled gzip thing, or that it
would last very long, so was keeping the archive in a consistent format.

kre