[tz] [IANA #985615] Sudan Time Zone change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 1 16:57:00 UTC 2017

On 11/01/2017 01:35 AM, ahmed.atyya at ntc.gov.sd wrote:
> With respect to the topic, please be updated that the change was applied successfully, Apple
> handsets did the update automatically but Android handsets didn’t.

In what sense didn't they change? My Android phone's time zone menu has
entries for Cairo, Harare, and Nairobi, but not for Khartoum. If it is a
matter of the user's time zone settings, users need to change from (say)
Nairobi time to Cairo time. On the other hand, if it is a matter of the
time zone supplied from the cellular service company, then this is
something for your local cell company to address.

> We kindly request to communicate with Google in order to update Android OS with the changes
> for the handsets take the time automatically.

As I understand it, Google engineers monitor this mailing list and so
already know about the time zone change.

There is a gap between the time that Google releases software updates,
and the time that phones actually change. For example, even though I
have a Google Nexus 6P phone and live in the United States, my phone is
well behind Google's release schedule: it upgraded over-the-air to
Android 8.0 Oreo only last night, even though Oreo was released on
August 21 *. Other manufacturers' Android phones are even slower to
update. This underscores the importance of governments announcing time
zone changes well in advance: we currently recommend one years' advance
notice.

When other countries have run into similar problems, they've had some
luck by contacting the U.S. State Department and asking for its help in
adjusting the priorities of commercial providers. I suggest that you
contact the U.S. Deputy Chief of Mission in Sudan and ask for his advice
for how to proceed. See:

https://sd.usembassy.gov/our-relationship/dcm/

https://sd.usembassy.gov/embassy/khartoum/offices-departments/public-affairs/

 From what you tell me, though, the problem is likely to involve the
protocols used by your local cellular service providers (that is, the
problem may not be in Android at all), so they'll need to be in contact
with their suppliers too.