[tz] Beginner's help request

Daniel Ford dfnojunk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 07:31:43 UTC 2017

Bradley,

"Then you can use any zoneinfo-aware 'localtime()' implementation to convert the absolute time to the local civil time."

I've not yet found an Arduino library with such a function.  They all seem to operate from text data.  But I'll keep looking.

"Get a PVR and watch both!"
I have a PVR that can record up to four programs simultaneously, but sometimes even that is not enough!  Seriously though, the TV example was, as I said, trivial.  There are many scenarios where one would want to know the exact time and not be near a PC or smartphone.

"An even simpler design then would be to install software on the PC that would deliver the local time to your clock over the LAN."
That's quite possible for me alone, but not for a commercial clock.  The purchaser might have any of a number of different 'computer' products in their home, including Android tablets and machines from crApple.  I am certainly not about to write software for the dozens of variants that might be found in individual homes!  That would also require that their 'computer' be on 24/7, assuming the user wants to know the accurate time at any time of the day or night.

Regards,
Daniel