[tz] [IANA #985615] Sudan Time Zone change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 2 22:39:03 UTC 2017

On 11/02/2017 04:19 AM, Mohammed Elsir Osman Alebeid wrote:
> some Android device such as Samsung, Huawei, Lenovo and part of HTC
> reject the provided time zone and display the time zone based on
> lookup table inside the handset.

Since only some Android devices do this, it could be because each
manufacturer has changed the time zone code or data on its own. If so,
I'm afraid you may need to contact each manufacturer.

I am using a Google device running Android 8.0 Oreo. Its clock settings
for "Home time zone" do not list Khartoum or Sudan as an option. For
GMT+2:00 in Africa it lists only Windhoek, Cairo, and Harare. For
GMT+3:00 in Africa it lists only Nairobi. So perhaps phones running
new-enough Android, or Android unmodified from Google, do not have the
problem.

I notice that Joda Time, which is a popular time zone package used in
older Java implementations, does not yet have the Sudan change of 2017c.
I'll CC: this to the Joda Time maintainer on the off chance that it's
related.

> Below is an example from Lenovo P2.

The Lenovo screenshot says it is using "network-provided time zone", and
that this is "GMT +03:00 East Africa Time". So it sounds like there is
some problem in Lenovo's handling of the network-provided time zone, as
"GMT +03:00" is the wrong rendering for your network's "timezone: GMT +
2 hours 0 minutes". However, all this is outside the scope of the tz
database, as it is independent of the NITZ protocol used by cell phones
for time zones, and this means the tz mailing list can't help you.

So I'm afraid you may have to take it up with Samsung etc. Unfortunately
this is not something the U.S. State Dept. is likely to help with.
Perhaps you can contact the South Korean embassy in Khartoum, telephone
(+249) (183) 580-031 / 2, and ask for their help, and similarly for the
countries of the other manufacturers.