[tz] [IANA #985615] Sudan Time Zone change

Fri Nov 3 17:26:18 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-02 16:39, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 11/02/2017 04:19 AM, Mohammed Elsir Osman Alebeid wrote:
> The Lenovo screenshot says it is using "network-provided time zone", and that
> this is "GMT +03:00 East Africa Time". So it sounds like there is some problem
> in Lenovo's handling of the network-provided time zone, as "GMT +03:00" is the
> wrong rendering for your network's "timezone: GMT + 2 hours 0 minutes". However,
> all this is outside the scope of the tz database, as it is independent of the
> NITZ protocol used by cell phones for time zones, and this means the tz mailing
> list can't help you.

NITZ support varies across GSM RANs and appears to be about 50% from what I can
find. Also updates are async and vary from after every wakeup to never.

Device manufacturers work around this using alternate approaches like SNTP and
tzdata.

First thing may be for users to ask their telco if their mobile RAN supports NITZ.
If not, or the time is off, switch off "network-provided time", set tz manually,
and install an SNTP app to keep decent time, but ensure that it does not wake up
the phone frequently, or use a lot of bandwidth, as badly written time and
location services and apps can cause heavy network use and battery drain.