[tz] FW: Beginner's help request

Thu Nov 9 22:20:48 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-09 04:34, Daniel Ford wrote:
> Thanks for your response to my comments. And I tip my hat to you for the
> great effort in developing a library that handles the convoluted TZdb!>
> I have to mention at the outset that:
> 1. I'm a raw novice at the whole Arduino scene (and see further comment
> below);
> 2. I have zero knowledge and experience of C++.
> My background is a professional electronics engineer, having spent the past
> 30 or so years designing/developing embedded systems, both hardware and
> firmware. My firmware experience (self-taught programmer) is mainly with
> assembler (various devices) and C. That said, I'm always willing to learn new
> skills in my retirement (helps stave off dementia, they say! :-)
> I hate Arduino! It's a platform that seems to have been developed by, and is
> now largely supported by, hobbyists. Detailed technical documentation is
> invariably somewhere between atrocious and non-existent. Anathema to a
> professional engineer! So why am I using it? Where else will you buy a
> computing platform with an in-built wi-fi module (both client and AP modes,
> even simultaneously!) for under AUD5 including postage (<US4)? [There could
> be similar Raspberry Pi bargains, but they would likely come with similar
> issues.]

RPi comes with quad 32 bit processors, 1GB memory, enet, BT, wifi, serial,
supports up to 32GB SDHC, USB flash, or USB magnetic drives, a fairly standard
embedded Debian Linux distro, thousands of utilities and packages, and regular
updates to tzdata and all the other packages.
You could easily host your own mirror on one.