[tz] Please include Montreal

Ted Cabeen ted at cabeen.org
Mon Nov 13 23:09:21 UTC 2017

On 11/13/2017 12:12 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
> So every UI that offers a list of tzdb names (or tzdb names slightly
> tweaked by replacing underscores with blanks, or whatever) as if it
> were a list of cities is broken.
>
> If your UI is intended *solely* for people who understand what tzdb
> names are - i.e., they are strings that happen to use city names as a
> component, but are *not* identifiers for *your* city - then using
> tzdb names is OK.
>
> If your UI is expected to be used by people who *aren't* familiar
> with tzdb names, it should not use tzdb names, whether it's a GUI
> interface or not.

While I agree with this, there is an additional challenge here.  If the
user selects a name other than the localized form of the TZ name, you
really should store that choice.  That way, if the location the user
chose moves into a newly created zone due to a change in TZ rules, the
user will not need to re-select their location.

I have no idea how many of the big players (Apple, MS, Google, etc.) do
this right.

--Ted