[tz] FW: Beginner's help request

Daniel Ford dfnojunk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 00:56:16 UTC 2017

Howard,

Thank you very much for trying to help with porting your library to Arduino.  But after your recent reply to my trial compilation errors and your suggestions for further steps, I have decided that I would need to be reasonably fluent in C++, plus make major changes to your code, before I would have any hope of getting it to work in the Arduino IDE.

The amount of time required for those tasks would almost certainly exceed the time taken to refine my earlier-proposed strategy of parsing the TZdb text files to ascertain the offset and DST rules for a specified locale, so I'm sorry to say I'm abandoning my attempt to port your library to Arduino.

I've also decided, in the absence of a significant number of TZdb mirror sites, to host the unzipped files on my own server, and maybe some friends' servers too.  Hopefully at least some of those will be around for the lifetime of my clocks!

Regards,
Daniel