[tz] zic option to generate smaller output files?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 23 08:38:06 UTC 2017

Ken Murchison wrote:
> Would it also be possible to have this option (or a separate one) create the
> first header and body (32-bit time values) with counts of zero?

That'd be a change to the format, since the intent (as I understand it) is for
the 32- and 64-bit parts to agree for timestamps in 32-bit range. (Although this
isn't written down; it should be.) So this should be a separate zic option.

I expect 32-bit clients typically look only at the 32-bit part and would misfire
if it were omitted, so if we added a zic option to generate such a format it
would surely not be the default at first. Still, it would make sense to add the
option, as 32-bit clients will become obsolete in a couple of decades anyway,
and we might as well get the ball rolling.