[tz] A bill to move Polish time (Europe/Warsaw) permanently to UTC+2

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Oct 12 12:05:57 UTC 2017

Sergiusz Wolicki said:
> The bill is not considered conflicting with EU regulations, which only
> require DST changes to be synchronized across EU but do not actually
> mandate the use of DST.

Hmm.

Article 2 says "From 2002 onwards, the summer-time period shall begin, in
every Member State, at 1.00 a.m., Greenwich Mean Time, on the last Sunday
in March."

It doesn't say "Where a member state observes a summer-time period, ...".

Article 1 similarly doesn't use wording like "where applied".

The literature on the topic on the EU site all seems to assume that having
summer time is mandatory.

If I tried hard I could probably bring an argument to the opposite forward,
but I suspect a court would throw it out.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.