[tz] Tonga

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 18 09:09:13 UTC 2017

Lord Buddha wrote:
> Have got a reply back from the Tongan news site http://matangitonga.to/
>
> They had a director that sits on the committee that decides this, but
> ultimately it goes the PM's office.   They have said they want to write an
> article so that their readers know what is going on.  This is a very good
> way of progressing this.
>
> As soon as they know we should find out, but from the papers view point,
> DST was not so popular.

Have you heard anything new about this? We will be issuing a new tzdb release
soon because of recently-announced changes that take effect in a week or two in
Northern Cyprus and Sudan, and it'd be nice to get Tonga squared away while
we're at it.

Last year, Tonga did not announce its decision until October 27 (just ten days'
notice). If DST was not so popular last year, perhaps we should change tzdb to
guess that Tonga will not use DST this year either. We can always change it back
if this new guess is incorrect.