[tz] Canada/East-Saskatchewan

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 25 18:49:06 UTC 2017

On 10/25/2017 11:32 AM, Matt Johnson (AZURE) wrote:
> So, how is it that we're ok with deleting Canada/East-Saskatchewan, but somehow we have to leave US/Pacific-New?  We could delete a whole file from the repo...
>
> What ARE the rules for when a name is ok to be deleted entirely?  AFAIK, this is the first time in a long while that we didn't just move it to the backward file.

We deleted Canada/East-Saskatchewan because of the thread starting here:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2017-July/025190.html

The basic idea was that overall the (trivial) cost of keeping
Canada/East-Saskatchewan around exceeded the (even more trivial) benefit.

I'm open to the idea that a similar argument applies to the 'pacificnew'
file. If it would simplify maintenance overall to move its contents into
the 'backward' file and remove the 'pacificnew' file, then we should do
that.