[tz] Tonga

Wed Sep 20 19:15:30 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-20 09:55, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Paul.Koning at dell.com wrote:
>> As I recall, IETF made that point rather explicitly some time ago, after the
>> Turkey and/or Egypt DST debacle.
>
> Yes, the main tzdb page
> <https://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/tz-link.html> now says, "If your
> government plans to change its time zone boundaries or daylight saving rules,
> let the mailing list know well in advance. With less than a year's notice there
> is a good chance that some computer-based clocks will operate incorrectly after
> the change, due to delays in propagating updates to software and data. The
> shorter the notice, the more likely clock problems will arise." It goes on to
> cite Matt Johnson's more-detailed blog post "On the Timing of Time Zone Changes"
> <http://codeofmatt.com/2016/04/23/on-the-timing-of-time-zone-changes/>.
>
> Perhaps the above info could be sent on the Tongan government, to give them an
> idea of the problems they'll face if they delay their decision further.

Please also consider adding an explicit request to add *tz at iana.org, as this is
the major global coordinator and source of updates to systems and devices*, to
their notification list which informs the media, airlines, IATA, and others of
time zone and daylight saving changes. This information is somewhat buried in
the recommendations at the end of Matt's post, insufficiently emphasized and
explained IMHO (it is mentioned as "the tz discussion list" not ...global
coordinator and source... which may not seem significant to bureacrats,
politicians, or IT management).