[tz] [PROPOSED] Support SAVE suffixes, for Namibia 1994-2017

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 9 18:07:12 UTC 2018

On 04/08/2018 02:55 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Together with other links, it clearly suggests that "winter time" and
> "summer time" are in common parlance. That the word "standard" is also
> used simply doesn't have the meaning TZDB uses for that word.

OK, but that's pretty much the same meaning that "standard time"
originally had in North America. The terminology diverged only when DST
is considered. In North America we now call only winter time "standard
time", whereas in Namibia they call both summer and winter time
"standard time".

> I do agree that the evidence is that Namibia viewed switching to
> winter time as DST (a negative SAVE),

Thanks for looking into this. This inspired me to look for non-Wikipedia
English-language sources that talk about the popular terminology for
time in Namibia (as opposed to the legal terminology). They were pretty
uniformly in agreement with you. Proposed patch attached.