[tz] 2-hour DST during 2020 Tokyo Olympics?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Aug 5 04:09:33 UTC 2018

Phake Nick wrote:

> - In case if a clock is created specifically for Olympic venues, how could
> tz database record it?

In theory we could have an Asia/Tokyo-2020-Olympics zone but I'd rather not, as
it doesn't fit into the naming scheme. (Heh, maybe it should be
Games/Olympic/2020 instead....)

> - In case if only Tokyo (and its surrounding area) get DST?

I suppose we'd create a new zone Asia/Osaka that would eschew DST.

I looked into the English-language coverage and my impression is they're leaning
towards "no". Although Toshiro Muto, director-general of the organizing
committee, says that DST is "the only way" to deal with the heat, Prime Minister
Shinzo Abe said only that DST "may be a solution" and Chief Cabinet Secretary
Yoshihide Suga (the Number 2 in Japan) said that DST would "have major impacts
on people’s daily lives". My favorite was Akira Koike, the head of the Japanese
Communist Party, who said in a Monday news conference that DST will "send Japan
into turmoil as adjustments would be needed for computer systems and many others".

In the meantime, starting times seem to be mutating a bit. The triathlon start
has moved from 10:00 to 08:00. In other news, trees are being planted along the
marathon course for shade, and a layer of solar heat-blocking pavement will be
put on roadways. I'd never heard of solar heat-blocking pavement until today.

My sources:

Japanese government lukewarm on idea of daylight saving time during 2020 Tokyo
Games. Japan Times. 2018-07-31.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/31/national/japanese-government-lukewarm-idea-daylight-saving-time-2020-tokyo-games/

Triathlon latest sport to adapt to Tokyo 2020 heat concerns. SportBusiness.
2018-08-02.
https://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/triathlon-latest-sport-adapt-tokyo-2020-heat-concerns

Ewing L. Canadian athletes prepare for soaring temperatures at Tokyo Summer
Olympics in 2020. The Globe and Mail. 2018-08-03.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/article-canadian-athletes-prepare-for-soaring-temperatures-at-tokyo-olympics/