[tz] Mozambique officially uses LMT?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 30 01:52:32 UTC 2018

Steve Allen wrote:
> I cannot say for sure whether this is a mistake, an official doing
> these calculations the way things used to work, or whether outlying
> towns still set their clocks using a stick in the ground.

tzdb cites a Portuguese decree dated 1911-05-26
<https://dre.pt/application/dir/pdf1sdip/1911/05/12500/23132313.pdf> saying that
Mozambique switched to +02 at 1912-01-01 00:00 +02, and I can't find anything
online suggesting that this change didn't stick. For what it's worth, the 2012
Atlas de Precipitação Moçambique
<http://www.inam.gov.mz/images/Climatologia/ATLAS-INAM-FINAL-Por-Ser-Printada.pdf>,
also published by INAM, says on page 2 that precipitation readings are taken at
07:00 UTC (09:00 local time).

That being said, Mozambique (or a good chunk of it, anyway) was ruled by Arab
traders for centuries, and the Arab world has a history of disagreeing with
Western timekeeping, so it's conceivable that solar time survives in some circles.