[tz] Fractional seconds in zic input

John Hawkinson jhawk at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 5 17:34:10 UTC 2018

Kim Davies <kim.davies at iana.org> wrote on Mon,  5 Feb 2018
at 09:26:24 -0800 in <20180205172622.GA57570 at KIDA-6861.local>:

> What is the expectation of the master branch of Paul's repository? Paul
> has repeatedly referred to it as his experimental repository.

IMO, this has always been misleading. Regardless of whether it was labelled "experimental" or "mainline" or "development," the fact is that it is the source from which releases are cut. So once something is added to it, the debate becomes about removal. And sometimes, I allege, the debate should be about whether or not that something should be added.

I think Paul has bowed to this reality, since he wrote on Fri, 19 Jan 2018
at 09:07:35 -0800 in <94408a93-9463-d05c-0b06-36677f666cd3 at cs.ucla.edu>:

| Yes, that's always been the intent of the GitHub version. Its master branch
| is supposed to be always suitable for external testing. To help emphasize
| that, I'm no longer calling it "the experimental version" and am now calling
| it "the development version".

> If there is a mismatch of expectations and folks are relying upon it
> for more than that, I think that needs to be clarified.

Paul is clearly relying on it for more than that -- it's what he cuts releases from.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson