[tz] Inappropriate project direction

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Thu Feb 8 13:54:02 UTC 2018

> 5) Fractional seconds
>
> A desire to fix subsecond data from over 50 years ago.
>
> - downstream consumers will break
> - the number of people who care is vanishingly small
>

> Were recent discussions a one-off, I might be prepared to let things
> lie, but as can be seen, there is a pattern here. Not one of these
> changes has added value to the project. Not one of them has been
> necessary to the primary mission of recording what governments are
> doing to their clocks now, nor even in the last 40 years. Worse, the
> majority are driven by a notion that getting the data "pure" trumps
> all problems reported by downstream consumers.

also add changing UTC to UT, despite (almost?) all current zones are
derived from UTC explicitly and 'UT' itself is unclear whether it means
UT0, UT1(R), UT2 or even UTC

I, for one, live in UTC+1 zone, not UT+1 like tools dealing with tz now
incorrectly show me, please read the legislation
... ok, I cannot quickly find anything for CZ, I guess Germany will do too:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/zeitgesetz.en.html

§ 1 Legal time
(2) Legal time is Central European Time. It is defined as Coordinated
Universal Time plus one hour.
<<<

repeat: "It is defined as *Coordinated Universal Time* plus one hour."

not just 'Universal Time' but 'Coordinated Universal Time', and the
following definition agrees with UTC, not UT[012]:

(3) Coordinated Universal Time is defined as a time scale with the
following properties:

On 1 January 1972, 0 hours, it corresponds to 31 December 1971, 23 hours,
59 minutes, 59.96 seconds mean solar time on the null meridian.
The scale unit is the base unit second according to section 3 paragraph 4
of the act on units of measurement of 2 July 1969 (BGBl. I, p. 709), last
amended by article 287 number 48 of the act of 2 March 1974 (BGBl. I, p.
469), at sea level.
The time scale Coordinated Universal Time is kept in alignment with mean
solar time at the null meridian with a tolerance of not more than one
second, either by inserting one additional second or by omitting one
second.
<<<

K.

--