[tz] EP vote on EU DST; afternoon gloom in Scotland

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Sun Feb 11 22:09:34 UTC 2018

> On 11 Feb 2018, at 20:54, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, the European Parliament voted 384-152 to pass a nonbinding resolution calling for the European Commission to re-evaluate the current system of daylight saving time in Europe. An article about this and how it's entangled with European politics can be found here:
>
> Yeginsu C. Daylight saving time: what's it good for? European lawmakers ask. New York Times. 2018-02-09. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/world/europe/europe-daylight-saving.html
>
> My favorite quote is about the UK Daylight Saving Bill 2010-12. Yeginsu writes: "That bill was met with fierce resistance in places like Scotland, where residents argued that they liked the afternoon gloom just fine."

My favourite is the short memories.  We tried staying on Summer Time all year round sometime in the early 70s in the UK.  I remember the funny smelling PVC hi-vis vests the local policeman gave us.  I also remember walking to school in the dark.   I don’t remember it being actually usefully light on the way home at the end of the day.

I suppose we’re going to have to have more children being killed at a bus stop in the dark for this to go away :(

jch