[tz] Recommendations for stable list of timezone ids

Goudge, Stephen stephen.goudge at petards.com
Mon Feb 12 12:59:48 UTC 2018

Back in 2008 I posted here that I am doing pretty much exactly the same thing as requested here: basically, I have a C enum that lists out all the zones and as new ones are created this gets extended. A simple table, indexed on that enum, converts to the string name, such as "America/New_York". This has to be manually updated as new names are added. This is (still) being used to allow timestamps to be stored in UTC but tagged with their origin zone - in a space-efficient fashion for an embedded system - so that we can display UTC or the correct local time in a user interface.

Original post: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2008-January/014801.html

As there was zero interest shown in this at the time, I've still not yet bothered to clean it up, get a GitHub account and post it, but I'm quite willing to do so if there is any interest these days (though the amount of clean-up done will start at - none!)

Regards,

Stephen Goudge
Senior Software Engineer

 Petards Joyce-Loebl Limited
   390 Princesway
   Team Valley
   Gateshead
   Tyne & Wear
   NE11 0TU

   T   +44 (0) 191 420 3015
   F   +44 (0) 191 420 3030
   W  www.petards.com

This email has been scanned by Petards. The service is powered by Symantec MessageLabs Email AntiVirus.cloud

This email has been sent from Petards Group plc or a member of the Petards group of companies. The information in this email is confidential and/or privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing, circulation or transmission of this e-mail and/or any file or attachment transmitted with it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Petards Group plc is registered in England & Wales. Company No. 2990100