[tz] Converting cities to tz identifiers (tangent)

Julian Cable julian.cable at bbc.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 18:43:27 UTC 2018

I¹ve always used Geonames for this kind of query.

For example for Boston MASS

http://api.geonames.org/timezoneJSON?formatted=true&username=demo&style=ful
l&lat=42.358056&lng=-71.063611

{
  "sunrise": "2018-02-20 06:34",
  "lng": -71.063611,
  "countryCode": "US",
  "gmtOffset": -5,
  "rawOffset": -5,
  "sunset": "2018-02-20 17:22",
  "timezoneId": "America/New_York",
  "dstOffset": -4,
  "countryName": "United States",
  "time": "2018-02-20 13:39",
  "lat": 42.358056
}

Or you can download one of the citiesXXXX.zip from
http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/