[tz] AP & WFLA-TV: Florida House OKs bill asking to skip Daylight Saving Time (off-topic)

Paul Goyette paul at whooppee.com
Sat Feb 24 00:49:24 UTC 2018

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018, Brian Inglis wrote:

> IIRC from previous hurricane impact coverage, the US Jones ;^> Act requires PR
> marine trade to transit from US ports on US ships: that may be a big factor;
> however I doubt Cuban trade is.

The Jones Act applies to trade between US ports (ie, intra-US trade),
and requires such trade to be conducted by US-registered ships with US
crew.  It does not apply to international trade.

So yes, it would apply to PR <--> Florida trade.

But as we all know, ships-at-sea (in "international waters") have their
own time-keeping rules...

(Written as the former skipper of a private US-registered motor vessel
on trans-pacific journey...)