[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 19 20:40:49 UTC 2018

On 01/19/2018 12:42 AM, Philip Paeps wrote:
> To avoid churn for consumers of the tzdb, could you please warn the
> list a few days before you intend to release a version so it can be
> sanity checked before the release?

I'm intending to release 2018c in a few days, so please consider this
email to be notification of an impending release. I'd release 2018c
today, except I want to give the recently-circulated patches time for
people to think about them.

> 2018a and 2018b should probably have been 2018a-rc1 and 2018a-rc2
> (though I don't think they need Git tags to reflect that) and after
> the discussions we just had, finally 2018a could have been released.

Both 2018a and 2018b were intended to be full releases. The release
process takes some time, though, and this time around problem reports
came in during the release process that convinced me not to announce the
releases. Had I known about the problems in advance, I would not have
tagged the releases. I'd rather not support the bureacracy of -rc* tags,
as the repository is designed to support continuous testing and I'd
rather have downstream users test continuously.