[tz] please do not enforce limits in code for time zones

Mon Jan 22 22:10:26 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-22 11:55, Steve Allen wrote:
> On Mon 2018-01-22T18:47:07+0000 Stephen Colebourne hath writ:
>>> Does newer Java code (Java 9, ThreeTen-Backport) also have these
>>> limitations?
>> No. The biggest limit is that offsets are constrained to -18 to +18 hours.
>
> The traditional calendar for observing at Lick Observatory has always
> had days begin at local noon.  This means that the time zone for the
> Lick calendar is 20 hours behind Greenwich.  I implore all
> implementors to accommodate local time zones which are not limited to
> the list that is part of tzdb.

In a similar vein, there may still be some legacy code in some PPoE(s), which
for scheduling treats legal 09.00 C{S|D}T as the start of the day, various
periods as subdivisions of that day, Nov 1 as the start of the year, Nov-Mar and
Apr-Oct as seasons, with appropriately adjusted treatment of weeks and months.