[tz] Adding a "test" region?

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Jan 24 22:35:14 UTC 2018

On 24 January 2018 at 17:26, Philip Paeps <philip at trouble.is> wrote:

> I don't think we should push gratuitous changes to a Test/ (Utopia/,
> Dystopia/, Whatever/) region but we can easily get away with slipping it in
> with the next 'real' update to actually existing regions.

Precisely.  We wouldn't actually roll a release for changes to test data
only.  But tests could be pushed to the development repo at any time and
should — ahem — *be tested.*

And if people are directly parsing tzdata source files anyway, they already
need to know which files they're looking at.  If we added a file 'test' to
express time zones on this fictional continent of 'test', and some
downstream project somehow accidentally picked that up, that's due to their
overbroad scope as it already is.

If we really think downstream projects are too brittle for even *this* (but
goodness, they shouldn't be)… we could, as a first step, just to have a
single zone on perpetual -00 in a new "test" namespace and see what that
breaks.  Then after some reasonably brief time we could add actual test
cases.

--
Tim Parenti