[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Jan 25 11:40:28 UTC 2018

On 24 January 2018 at 22:44, Philip Paeps <philip at trouble.is> wrote:
> As usual "be strict in what you send and liberal in what you accept" should
> be a guiding principle.  The tzdb should be as correct as possible and
> downstream consumers should be (become) as flexible as possible to accept
> the crazy reality we happen to live in.  Currently, historically and in the
> future.

It is not possible to transform a source file containing negative SAVE
values to one containing positive SAVE values without additional
information not present in the file. This is because of edge cases
where the time-zone started or finished using DST.

Given this unfortunate fact, the only choice left to downstream
consumers wanting to retain standard=winter (for compatibility
reasons) is to alter the input source file. Which is effectively a
fork of the TZDB project.

Stephen