[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 25 21:46:27 UTC 2018

On 01/25/2018 01:22 PM, Paul G wrote:
> Is there a reason the Makefile doesn't install it?
The main reason for me was a reluctance to separate version information
from the data. Separate version files have a bad habit of containing
wrong values. In contrast, I expect there's less of a problem putting a
version number into tzdata.zi since that file contains all the tzdb data
of interest to applications (except for leap seconds, which are to some
extent versioned separately anyway). It's hard to tell for sure, since
tzdata.zi is so new.

We could extended the format of zic binary output files to contain a
version number, and then put the version number there as well. Although
that might be better for some applications (which ones?), changing
formats would be more work for all concerned and it's not clear that
it'd be worth the effort.