[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 26 21:36:55 UTC 2018

On 01/26/2018 10:56 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> This merely replaces correct text with incorrect text.

No it doesn't. The proposed text is not incorrect. It's merely more
generic; enough to get us through a transition.

> Why should the citizens of Ireland have worse textual zone names than
> everyone else
It's not worse than everyone else. Lots of zones in CLDR have worse
textual zone names, e.g., "Cook Islands Half Summer Time" (I mean,
c'mon). Admittedly the proposal is a compromise and like any compromise
there is something for everyone to dislike about it: but it is a way
forward to more-accurate names in the future. Some sort of compromise is
helpful because OpenJDK+CLDR cannot gracefully handle a transition to an
environment where "Irish Standard Time" is standard time. The idea is to
ease the transition by temporarily using names that are still accurate
albeit more-generic. Users by and large won't notice or care about any
temporary glitches, just as they by and large didn't notice or care when
CLDR used the incorrect text "Irish Summer Time" for IST.