[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Jan 28 02:22:08 UTC 2018

Brian Inglis wrote:
> NetBSD supports tzgetgmtoff(), tzgetname(), with tz and isdst parameters, since
> ~4.{2,3} according to ESR's doc.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about those NetBSD functions. However, they do not suffice
for tzdata, since they assume at most two types of time can exist in a
timezone_t object, something that is true for the simple POSIX model but is
false for tzdb. So code should not use these functions if it wants to work on
arbitrary timestamps. This is why I didn't add these functions to tzcode when I
added support for tzalloc, tzfree, etc.

Also, even if one assumes POSIX, tzgetgmtoff and tzgetname are not much use on
platforms like NetBSD that have tm_gmtoff and tm_zone.