[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 28 08:03:33 UTC 2018

On Jan 27, 2018, at 10:33 PM, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> There isn't. But there also isn't a problem if it is set to 0 for Irish
> Standard Time.

Fine.

So, in the real world, how much software would fail if Irish Standard Time weren't considered "daylight saving time" in the sense of "tm_isdst is set to 1"?  Perhaps they *shouldn't* have made any assumptions about what "Daylight Saving Time" meant, but, in practice, I suspect that rather a lot of people think "Daylight Saving Time", or "Daylight Savings Time", or "summer time", means "the clocks get turned forwards".  If the clocks don't get turned forwards, I suspect calling that "Daylight Saving Time" would be a Bad Idea, no matter *what* the ISO C standard allows.