[tz] [External] Re: OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 28 22:15:11 UTC 2018

On Jan 28, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Wallace, Malcolm via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> The Random House dictionary you quote does not support your hypothesis, indeed it seems to contradict it, since it allows for both forward and backward movement of the clock to count as daylight saving:
>
>      daylight saving
>      the practice of advancing ...: and of setting it back ... by one hour ... in order to
>      gain an extra period of daylight during the early evening.

Then they need to clarify the definition:

	the practice of advancing standard time by one hour in the spring of each year and of setting it back by one hour in the fall in order to gain an extra period of daylight during the early evening *of the spring and summer*.

Note also that this is a definition of "daylight saving", not of "daylight saving time"; the practice of "daylight saving" involves turning the clock forward when the extra period of daylight during the early evening is desired and turning it backward again when it's not desired - as opposed, for example to just saying "what the hell" and turning it forward once and leaving it there.  "Daylight saving time" is the time that's in effect when the clock has been turned forward.

And the online OED says (this is the US flavor of the OED, although they claim the first use was in Adelaide, which I'm guessing is the Adelaide in Australia):

	https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/daylight_saving

"A method of securing longer evening daylight during the summer by setting the clocks ahead of standard time, typically by one hour; the period during which this is in force."

and

	https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/daylight_saving_time

"Time as adjusted to achieve longer evening daylight in summer by setting the clocks an hour ahead of the standard time." (That is explicitly noted as a North American usage; perhaps the Australians were the first to refer to "daylight saving", and the Yanks were the first to refer to the time when "daylight saving" was being done as "daylight saving{s} time").