[tz] EU Public Consultation summertime arrangements

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 13 14:37:50 UTC 2018

On 07/13/2018 05:02 AM, John Wilcock wrote:
> It also occurs to me that much of our discussion, and much of the
> recommendation, is assuming that many European countries would change
> to an offset that equates to their current summer time (i.e. permanent
> summertime by any other name), when it is equally possible that they
> would choose to stay year-round on their current winter time.

There is a staunch lobbying campaign to get people up earlier in the
morning, led by groups such as convenience stores (which sell more if
there's more evening light), tourist attractions and golf courses (since
their customers tend to get up late), and construction firms (the
original promoters of DST). In contrast, almost nobody lobbies for
"noon" meaning the sun is overhead, as there's no money in that. So it's
pretty clear which way the wind is blowing here.