[tz] Phone glitch leaves some Hobartians behind the times

Paul.Koning at dell.com Paul.Koning at dell.com
Fri Mar 16 16:54:24 UTC 2018

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU> wrote:
>
> Apparently the bug was in the system Telstra uses to notify Android phones of their correct time zone. That is, users who had specified Australia/Hobart as their home time zone were unaffected, whereas users who relied on their 4G cell phone service to specify the time zone were messed up in some cases. One user posted, "At least once of the 4g cells at Launceston General Hospital is setting auto time zone back to normal eastern time GMT +10 and putting the time back an hour on phones prematurely. Turning 4g off changes it back." See:
>
> Stevens K. So that's their excuse! Thousands of Tasmanians hit by Telstra phone glitch that shifted their clocks back an hour overnight - and their bosses were NOT happy. Daily Mail. 2018-03-16. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5508199/Tasmanians-hit-Telstra-phone-glitch-shifted-clocks-back.html

Telstra isn't the only one that has trouble doing this right.  The US National Weather Service changed to daylight time on their servers (at weather.gov) several days too early (just as it did in the past, last year or a couple of years ago, I don't remember).  They were wrong for several days.

It's rather puzzling how this can happen with the tzdb supported everywhere.

	paul