[tz] Asia\Nicosia

GsaTitanium gsatitanium at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:45:14 UTC 2018

Hello mr.Eggert

Thank you for replying.

i have checked CLDR. Under their Time Zone section say and i quote: "The time zone IDs (tzid) are language-independent, and follow the TZ time zone database [Olson <https://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35.html#Olson>] and naming conventions.” Link: https://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-dates.html#Time_Zone_Names <https://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-dates.html#Time_Zone_Names>

Where Olson is referring to iana tz database. Link: https://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35.html#Olson <https://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35.html#Olson>

CLDR say that by locale display name may very. Basically what you said to me. But their core data are getting it from iana. So basically iana data: Asia/Nicosia. must change to Europe/Nicosia.

I understand that core data must not be disabled to any user and that the locale names must be showed, but developers are skipping the process to include the locale data, resulting to display Asia/Nicosia in some programs.

Are they wrong for not including locale data? Yes they are. But i am trying to resolve the issue from the root, in this case is iana.

I undestand that you do not like to change data and that your data are based in geological locations and not political. But in this case your data are misleading.

i know that you are not willing to change your data or the way you collect them so i will end this conversation here.

Again thank you for replying to me, i appreciate it. I hope in the near future you change you way of doing business before a new organisation come and become the new standard for tz database.

GsaTitanium