[tz] [PROPOSED 2/2] * theory.html: Cite Hinnant instead of the 1980s HP work.

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri May 25 23:39:01 UTC 2018

On 05/25/2018 03:12 PM, Arthur David Olson wrote:
> Note that the passage being changed dates back to the 1980s, when
> Hewlett Packard had variant time handling software;
> I believe the Howard E. Hinnant package is distinct from that. One
> possibility: reference both, expanding "folks at Hewlett Packard" to
> "folk at Hewlett Packard in the 1980s."

Heh, that change came from my noticing that the text misspelled HP's
name; there should have been a hyphen between "Hewlett" and "Packard".
And then when I looked into what the passage was about, it appeared that
the circa-1980 HP work was long-dead. At least, I couldn't find mention
of it in the most recent HP-UX manual I could find
<http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c01921592-1.pdf>. So
that's why I replaced its mention with a pointer to Hinnant's recent work.

If the HP API is still actively used and there's a URL for it, we can
certainly put it back in.