[tz] Rename Ukrainian cities to their official transliterated names

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Oct 4 17:02:35 UTC 2018

On Oct 4, 2018, at 12:35, John Haxby <john.haxby at oracle.com> wrote:

> I think, even so, this will not fix the problem.  Instead of complaining about the Europe/Kiev name, they'll be complaining about the spelling of the mapping from an opaque identifier to Europe/Kiev.

Exactly. At *some* point in the chain, these zones need to get turned into geographical names that people can recognize. In some regions, that naming process is fraught with dispute and emotion; unfortunately, due to the very nature of what tzdb is and does, we are never going to be free from that aspect. Thus, changing the current identifiers would merely add confusion for users and complexity to the code without addressing the essence of the issue.

That cartoon from Xkcd posted here last week [https://xkcd.com/2050/ <https://xkcd.com/2050/>] somehow feels relevant…  :)

Cheers!