[tz] Rename Ukrainian cities to their official transliterated names

Volodymyr Kostyrko arcade at b1t.name
Wed Oct 3 20:41:00 UTC 2018

03.10.18 20:07, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Paul.Koning at dell.com wrote:
>> This exact topic has been discussed (and rejected) many times in the
>> past, several times per year.
>
> We can add a comment to the 'europe' file so that potential contributors
> can understand the issues better before proposing patches.  Proposed
> patch attached.
>
> I just now did a Wikipedia search from Los Angeles, and "Uzhgorod" had
> about 2,860,000 hits whereas "Uzhhorod" had 1,040,000, so it seems that
> traditional English spellings are still holding strong for smaller
> Ukrainian cities as well.

Thank you for looking into this. I wasn't careful enough to read that
much of archives, only checked a few last month. Alas, mailing list
archives are not that human friendly. So having a comment outlining
current state and reasoning right at the `europe` would be most helpful.

Adding a comment is probably the easiest way to nail down guys like me
that are generally trying to fix obvious error (that what we think) and
see no other attempts to do that logged in the same file. Probably a
link to ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/theory.html wouldn't harm too. Idea
expressed by Guy Harris should go there too probably. Though I wouldn't
agree with him completely it's worth mentioning in the first place.

Outlining current status for Uzhhorod/Zaporizhzhia would be nice too,
for example if you check Wikipedia you can find Zaporizhia as the most
commonly used form. While taking some place in the comments this will
direct people to some real qualifiers and will outline what should be
done to change things.

Big thanks for your time and looking into this. Hope after this changes
the steady flow of patches will cease. :)

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.