[tz] Wrong spelling of a city in a timezone name

Igor igor at yavych.com
Tue Oct 9 17:13:32 UTC 2018

Hello. Currently, in your timezone files Ukrainian capital is spelled
incorrectly. Kyiv is the correct spelling as decided by UNCSGN (United
Nations Conferences on the Standardization of Geographical Names) and
UNGEGN (United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names)."Kiev" is
transliteration from Russian and as Ukraine, which is an independent
country, has only one official language, which is Ukrainian, using
transliteration from Russian is offending and incorrect.
I saw in your files that you understand that Kyiv is correct spelling and
you reason that Kiev is more common, alas that argument is wrong. It's
only more common because it's been mistakingly used for a long period of
time.
Ukrainian government is currently running a campaign called Kyiv Not Kiev
to raise awareness of international community and it already has results,
many companies, like Microsoft, BBC, Google, Facebook and others have
already fixed their spelling. I suggest IANA follows this example and
fixes this incorrect spelling.

Regards, Igor