[tz] [tz-announce] 2018f release of tz code and data available

Stephen Colebourne jodastephen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:55:50 UTC 2018

The java.time.* code exposes the local time that the transition occurs.
This can be represented within the bounds 00:00 to 24:00. There is no way
to represent 25:00 or negatives.
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/zone/ZoneOffsetTransitionRule.html

As such, the tzdb parser would have to convert 25:00 and try to reinterpret
it as the next day within the valid bounds, which is far from ideal. It
would be much better for the upstream source to represent the data in a
more standard and backwards compatible way.

(The existing API will be supported unaltered for many years, potentially
decades, so changing the API is not a viable solution.)

Stephen