[tz] [tz-announce] 2018f release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 23 16:26:42 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 11:22 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I mainly meant how to adjust the transition rules to get a proper POSIX
> rule.  Is this always possible?

No, because POSIX does not allow settings like
TZ='GST3GDT,M3.5.0/-2,M10.5.0/-1', where the '-2' is short for '-02:00'
and means that in spring the transition is at 22:00 on the day before
the last Sunday in March. There is no POSIX-conforming equivalent to this.

We should fix POSIX to allow times outside the 00:00-24:00 range, since
they are used in practice. Glibc supports them, and other
POSIX-compatible implementations do too. For example, run the command
'tail -n1 /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Godthab' on a Red Hat platform.