[tz] tzdata2018g.tar.gz failing to install in Java 8

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Tue Oct 30 23:23:10 UTC 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 19:42, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 10/30/18 8:52 AM, Carter, Tom via tz wrote:
> >
> > Please advise when will this be fixed?
> >
> As announced in
> <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz-announce/2018-October/000052.html> a
> rearguard-format tarball
> <https://web.cs.ucla.edu/~eggert/tz/release/2018g/tzdata2018g-rearguard.tar.gz>
> is intended to be usable by programs that don't yet support the
> timestamps in question. Please give that tarball a try and let us know
> of any problems with it.
>
> Although the timestamp format was changed in 2007 this change was
> evidently overlooked in TZUpdater. Sorry, I don't know when TZUpdater
> itself will be fixed to support these timestamps; TZUpdater is a
> separate project maintained by a different group.

I made a very specific request to put 01:00 back in the main file for
15 months. A timeframe that would allow fixed/updated tools to be
rolled out. Had my request and advice been followed, these developers
and many others would not be frustrated today.

FWIW, I've done my part - there are new releases of both time-zone
parsers that I directly control (Joda-Time and ThreeTen-Backport), and
I have argued for changes to the JDK. But changes to the JDK or
TZUpdater will not be quick.

I say again, the right course of action is to revert the change and
use 01:00 in the main file until the JDK teams have had a chance to
fix their tools.

Stephen