[tz] Ethiopia local time

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat Sep 15 17:29:09 UTC 2018

On Fri 2018-09-14T18:51:12-0700 Paul Eggert hath writ:
> I gave that a shot in the attached proposed patch.

> +    And even today, some local practices diverge from the Gregorian
> +    calendar with 24-hour days. These divergences range from
> +    relatively minor, such as Japanese bars giving times like "24:30" for the
> +    wee hours of the morning, to more-significant differences such as <a
> +    href="https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-01-30/if-you-have-meeting-ethiopia-you-better-double-check-time">the
> +    east African practice of starting the day at dawn</a>, renumbering
> +    the Western 06:00 to be 12:00. These practices are largely outside
> +    provide only limited support for date and time localization
> +    such as that required by POSIX.

This does not explicitly address the original question that prompted
the text.  It appears that the common parlance in several equatorial
east African regions is to have hour 0 and the change of date at 06:00
according to cell phones that are showing UTC+3.  Therefore people who
wish their devices to give common time (and date) rather than cell
phone time (and date) have already been and can continue to be able to
achieve this by setting a device to use UTC-3.  The flaw in this
scheme is that device vendors may not have allowed that as one of the
choices.

Is there objection to enhancing the patch text to mention this explicitly?

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855