[tz] oral history contribution to the time zone history of Cambodia

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Thu Aug 8 16:17:34 UTC 2019

On 08.08.19 18:10, Alois Treindl wrote:

> On 08.08.19 17:33, Michael H Deckers wrote:
>>
>>    On 2019-08-08 13:32, Alois Treindl wrote:
>>
>>> In view of this, I would tend to eliminate the line
>>>                         8:00    -       +08     1953 Nov  9
>>

>>    Hm. The observations you quote are consistent with the
>>    current description in tzdb which uses UT + 08 h
>>    instead of UT + 07 h from 1947-04-01 until various dates
>>    (between 1953 to 1955) in former French Indochina. So
>>    all of Indochina used the same civil time in 1951.
>>
>>    And then there is the book referenced in tzdb for Vietnam
>>    with positive evidence.
>>
>>    Michael Deckers.
>>
> I do not agree with your conclusion. The quote states that Cambodia
> people used GMT + 7 between 1946 and 1953, for civil purposes.
>
> However, on 7 January 1946, Sihanouk and Tioulong managed to obtain a
> status of “internal autonomy” from the government of Charles de
> Gaulle. Although many fields remained under the administration of the
> French (customs, taxes, justice, defence, foreign affairs, etc.), the
> Cambodian administration was responsible for religious matters and
> traditional celebrations, which included our calendar and time. The
> time zone was GMT + 7 and no DST was applied.*
> *

*I only said that this is oral history, coming from the adoptive
daughter of Sihanouk and biological daughter of Tioulong, the two men
named above. She implies that the regulation imposed in Hanoi in 1947
did not apply for internal use in Phnom Penh, because Cambodia had been
granted exception "internal autonomy" already beforehand. She says that
there was no time change in November 1953, because GMT +7 was already in
force.
*