[tz] Norfolk Island, Daylight Saving Time (DST) 6/10/19-05/04/20 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wed Aug 14 17:52:49 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-14 02:30, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Kyle Czech wrote:
>> Please be advised that there will be a time zone change for Norfolk Island as
>> of October 6, 2019.
>>
>> The Ordinance for the time zone change was passed in December last
>> yearhttps://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L01702  and will come into
>> effect October 6, 2019.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up. I just visited
> <https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L01702> and found that it says that
> F2018L01702 is "No longer in force". The web page details say that F2018L01702
> was registered 2018-12-07, tabled 2019-02-12, and repealed 2019-08-02 by
> Division 1 of Part 3 of Chapter 3 of the Legislation Act 2003, which contains a
> bunch of legal mumbo jumbo that I don't understand.

Amendment incorporated into Norfolk Island Standard Time Ordinance 2015

	https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019C00010

compilation of 8 December 2018 incorporating F2018L01702 registered 3 January 2019.

Division 1 of Part 3 of Chapter 3 of the Legislation Act 2003 in

	https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00084

deletes legislation that only changes other legislation once the changes have
been applied to the legislation amended and the new version resistered:

48A  Automatic repeal of amending and repealing instruments

(1)  Subject to subsection (2), this section repeals a legislative instrument or
notifiable instrument whose only legal effect is to amend or repeal one or more
other legislative instruments or notifiable instruments, without making any
application, saving or transitional provisions relating to the amendment or repeal.

Effect of repeal

(3)  The repeal of the instrument by this section does not affect any amendment
or repeal made by the instrument. This does not limit the effect of section 7 of
the Acts Interpretation Act 1901 as it applies in relation to the repeal of the
instrument by this section because of section 13 of this Act.

> Could you please clarify what happened on August 2?

Something triggered deleting the amendment but after its application to the act.

> Also, F2018L01702 says that DST ends at 02:00 on the first Sunday in April. I
> guess this means 02:00 standard time not 02:00 daylight-saving time. Is my guess
> correct?

Legislation uses legal time in effect, which is daylight saving time until the
change. The amended 2015 act says:

8  References to time etc.
	(1)  Subsection (2) applies if:
		(a)  a legal instrument includes an expression of time; or
		(b)  the doing or refraining from doing anything at, before or after a certain
time has an effect in law.
	(2)  Unless there is a contrary intention, the time must be determined using:
		(a)  standard time; or
		(b)  for a time within a daylight saving period—daylight saving time.
	(4)  Subsection (2) applies in relation to a legal instrument even if the
instrument was made before the commencement of this section.