[tz] Norfolk Island, Daylight Saving Time (DST) 6/10/19-05/04/20 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wed Aug 14 22:38:26 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-14 15:07, Michael H Deckers wrote:

> On 2019-08-14 17:52, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> Also, F2018L01702 says that DST ends at 02:00 on the first Sunday in April. I
>>> guess this means 02:00 standard time not 02:00 daylight-saving time. Is my guess
>>> correct?
>> Legislation uses legal time in effect, which is daylight saving time until the
>> change. The amended 2015 act says:
>>
>> 8  References to time etc.
>>     (1)  Subsection (2) applies if:
>>         (a)  a legal instrument includes an expression of time; or
>>         (b)  the doing or refraining from doing anything at, before or after a
>> certain
>> time has an effect in law.
>>     (2)  Unless there is a contrary intention, the time must be determined using:
>>         (a)  standard time; or
>>         (b)  for a time within a daylight saving period—daylight saving time.
>>     (4)  Subsection (2) applies in relation to a legal instrument even if the
>> instrument was made before the commencement of this section.
>

>    The ice may be thin here, but
> [https://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/facts-and-figures/time-zones-and-daylight-saving#Daylightsaving]
>    confirms that, in the definition of the dst periods, both the start
>    and the end points of those periods are meant to be designated by values of
>    the time scale without any dst offset is applied to it -- the offset is not
>    even defined at that point.

As thin as in an Australian winter: that page is not "normative" legislation,
which by default refers to the local legal time in effect in the reference, as
stated in 8(1) and 8(2) above, unless explicitly stated otherwise in the
legislation, and the missing 8(3) above allows that only in legislation amending
time.

Of course that 2015 act, as amended, applies only to Norfolk island time, and
could be wrong, as few bureaucrats or politicians are aware, know, or care much
about time zones, and how best to specify those explicitly referring to time
zones using terms such as standard, summer, daylight saving, or GMT/UTC offset.

Such rules would only apply to federal legislation, which affects ACT, areas,
and possessions under federal control, probably not states and territories,
unless they have to conform to federal standards, similar to the US.

References should be provided to interpretative legislation, or discrepancies
clarified in the appropriate legislation.